Open Position | Prep Cook
A cook’s primary task is to prepare food from a given state, raw or other, for all events and restaurants, and all other clients of Catering by Design, and to do so in a sanitary and professional manner at all times.
- Assist in receiving deliveries of food
- Assist in rotation of stocked items in coolers, dry storage, and freezers
- Keep kitchen area clean and presentable at all times
- Remain in a proper CLEAN uniform entire shift
- Assist in keeping a list of items needed for stock and prep
- Prepare all food items listed on prep lists and all menus in the allotted time given by the chef
- Comply with all food and safety regulations
- Familiarity and compliance with all food handling requirements such as gluten-free, vegan etc…
- Assist in cleaning of all kitchen areas before the close of day or shift.
- On occasion, may be asked to fill in a spot when short-staffed at events.
- Ability to follow the lead and direction from other chefs.
- Always arrive to work prepared for your shift.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Catering experience preferred
- Must have excellent knife skills with the ability to cut quickly and safely.
- Proper food handling and safety knowledge
- Ability to read, understand, verbal directions and written recipes from chefs.
- Possess a clear understanding of weights and measurements
- Ability to handle a fast-paced work environment and keep a steady pace.
- Must be able to stay on feet for several hours per shift
- Must have good organizational, multi-tasking, and time management abilities
The kitchen will be busy and fast-paced must be able to move quickly with every move you make. You will be on your feet for long periods of time, but lunch and proper breaks are provided daily. This is a semi-temperature-controlled environment but may be hotter or colder depending on any extreme temperatures outside. Heavy items will be lifted daily, and team lifting is mandatory. Please make sure you have the physicality to thrive in this environment.’
Pay to start at $18.00 hr.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, some weekends