Russian Cream With Raspberry Coulis
1.5 C sugar
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 C water
2 C heavy cream
3 C sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
Seasonal fresh berries
- Raspberry Coulis (makes about 1.5 cups)
1 pint fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs water
- In a medium sauce pan, blend together sugar and gelatin. Add water and mix well then let sit for 5 minutes. Over medium to medium high heat, bring to a full rolling boil, stirring often. Remove from heat and add heavy cream.
- In a separate bowl, mix sour cream and vanilla, then gradually beat in the cream mixture. Pour into a glass serving dish or portion into individual glass serving vessels. Place in the refrigerator and let chill for at least 6 hours or until firm.
- While chilling, make the raspberry coulis. Heat the sugar and water in the small saucepan until the sugar crystals dissolve. Place the berries and sugar mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Top with raspberry coulis and seasonal fresh berries and enjoy!
- This recipe isn’t a Catering by Design original, but it is one of my favorites. My mom made this for us when we were growing up for our Easter dessert. I don’t know where the recipe came from, but I believe she got this from my aunt. It soon became my request for dessert on my birthday in place of a birthday cake. Don’t let the addition of sour cream dissuade you from trying this recipe. It is truly wonderful, creamy and refreshing. Enjoy! Ingrid